SHAPING SPACE AT HOME
Sign up for a monthly membership and receive a curated digital program that aims to help children explore the intersections of art, sculpture, and nature while in their own backyard!
Families at The UMLAUF
The UMLAUF Sculpture Garden + Museum offers a variety of family-friendly programming throughout the year! Admission to the garden is free for children 12 and under, and we offer free Family Days the second Sunday of the month every month. Family Days feature sculpture searches, art-making activities, performances, local vendors, activities and more! For more information, visit our Events Calendar (link)
Bronze sculptures have been waxed to allow for light touching, making the UMLAUF an interactive, outdoor art experience unmatched in Texas!
The UMLAUF also hosts Summer Camp every year with a variety of themes and dates. Click here to learn more! (link)
Check out our May Issue of Shaping Space at Home, an activity booklet for children of all ages!
Shaping Space is the UMLAUF's after-school outreach program. While we're being asked to keep our distance from students, friends, and teachers during this time we're taking Shaping Space online! Sign up for a monthly membership and receive a curated digital program that aims to help children explore the intersections of art, sculpture, and nature while in their own backyard.
For your monthly fee you'll receive a newsletter with a different theme each month. In May our theme is "Take Flight". In every newsletter you'll find:
1. Make of the Month - this is a month-long project that kids and caregivers work on together. You will be provided with an embedded video featuring a facilitator giving you a digital guide and prompts for caregivers to ask questions rather than follow instructions. This month you'll be making your own sculpture garden by propagating plants and used vegetables from around your house.
2. Maker Recipes - An instruction based activity for older members to work through independently. This will use common resources around the house and end with a clearly finished product. In April you'll explore growing your own sourdough starter.
3. Meet an Expert - An interview with an artist or museum staff member that outlines what they do at the museum. Sticking with our "In Bloom" theme you'll hear from the UMLAUF's Garden Coordinator!
4. Sensory Activities - A themed sensory activity for caregivers to do with their infants or toddlers. These will feature easy materials that you can find around the house and come with engaging prompts for activating your child's motor skills. In April we'll focus on close looking in your own neighborhood.
5. Music to Make to - A recommended playlist or album to listen to while you work!
For more information, or for access to our Shaping Space educator guides, please email email@example.com